Alioli is a garlicky mayonnaise eaten in Spain as butter is eaten in UK, but is much healthier, made with olive oil and garlic. This is the easiest and tastiest recipe I've ever found.
If you want just mayonnaise, stop after Step 2.
Here's what you need:
- 1 egg, medium (straight out of fridge is fine)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or wine/cider vinegar)
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 100 ml olive oil (general cooking variety, not Extra Virgin)
- half teaspoon salt
- 2 or 3 crushed cloves of garlic (or according to taste!)
- An electric stick blender
STEP 1: Place the first five listed ingredients into the stick blender jug, put the blender in all the way down to the bottom.
STEP 2: Turn blender on and leave at the bottom for a few seconds, then slowly raise up and down a few times, until all the oil binds and the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. It only takes a few seconds.
STEP 3: Crush 2 or 3 cloves of garlic into the mayonnaise mix, turn on the blender and just move it up and down for a second or two through the mayonnaise to mix. That's it, done!
Eat with fresh crusty rolls, baguette, homemade bread, whatever you fancy. Also makes a great salad dressing if thinned with a little water.